Who doesn’t love cake?
It’s really hard to find a dairy, gluten, soya and egg free cake in the supermarkets as the ‘free from’ range tend to have one or the other of these ingredients .
So I’ve spent some time developing the perfect chocolate birthday cake, that is not only seriously tasty but is very allergy friendly too.
It’s really quite easy, so please give it a try and don’t forget to let me know how you get on!
For an 8 inch Cake:
210g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour (Doves Farm Flour)
20g Cocoa powder (Tesco Cocoa Powder is dairy free)
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Baking Powder (Dr. Oetker)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
90ml Vegetable /Sunflower oil
1 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
For the Glaze:
50g Dairy Free Chocolate (Moo Free Chocolates)
25g Dairy Free Spread (Pure Free From)
1/2 Tbsp Golden Syrup
Another option is buttercream- if you want to double the cake recipe and stack it into a sandwich, you will need buttercream frosting. (Or if you are unable to use the chocolate for a glaze.)
For the buttercream frosting:
100g butter, softened
150g icing sugar
50g cocoa powder, sifted
1-2 tbsp dairy free milk
If you cannot have cocoa (or just want less chocolate), use another 50g of icing sugar and add 1tsp vanilla extract)
- Set your oven to 180C
- Sieve flour & cocoa powder, then add sugar, cinnamon & baking powder and mix.
- Make three separate wells (holes) in the dry mixture
- Pour in vanilla extract in one hole, the oil into another hole and finally the cider vinegar in the third hole
- Pour the water over the top
- Mix all ingredients with a fork
- Pour the mixture into your grease proofed 8 inch cake tin
- Cook for 30- 35 mins
- When cake springs back in middle (or a toothpick comes out clean) it is done.
For the Glaze
- Make sure your cake is nice and cool before making your glaze (put in fridge for an hour if you are pushed for time)
- Melt the chocolate and dairy free spread in a bowl over a pan of boiling water
- Add the golden Syrup
- Transfer the glaze into a pouring jug
- Pour the glaze into the centre of your (cooled) cake and gradually add more until it starts to cover the cake/ drip down sides
- Grate dairy free chocolate and add fruit to decorate
Prefer cupcakes ? Check out the recipe here