Don’t be put off by the name…these are truly delicious! And a healthier alternative to standard vanilla or chocolate cupcakes. Most importantly they are free from most things!
I love spinach and it’s so good for the kiddies, but sometimes I seem to have a big bag that I need to use up before it goes bad! Spinach crisps are great for this, but if you are fancying something sweet, spinach cupcakes are perfect! They bake nice and quickly too, so you won’t be busy in the kitchen for too long.
*As you can see, I over baked mine slightly and had them too high up on the shelf in the oven, which is why they cracked… but it was 7AM on a Monday and they still tasted fantastic! (So I’m going to forgive myself)
Ingredients (12 cupcakes)
160g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
125ml almond milk (If you can’t do nuts, substitute for another dairy free milk like Oat milk)
85ml maple syrup/ honey/ golden syrup (whichever you have in the cupboard really)
50g dairy free butter
64g apple sauce
Splash of cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Measure all dry ingredients in a big bowl
- Measure wet ingredients in blender and blend
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, making sure not to over work it.
- Spray your cupcake cases with sunflower oil
- Fill the cases with your mixture to just over 2/3 full
- Bake for 8-10 mins (or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean)
- Remove and cool on wire rack
- Enjoy! (We halved the recipe and just made 6, but they got eaten up by the three of us immediately!)
Sweet Spinach & Banana Cupcakes- Huge hit in our house!
Please let me know how you get on!