I love Sundays! Roast dinners are something I always look forward to. And not just because of the food. In our family, a roast is always a bit of a social occasion with family and friends.
The trimmings are actually my favourite part ! And nothing finishes off a roast dinner better than some delicious stuffing covered in gravy!
I’ve been tweaking this recipe for a while, to try to make it dairy, gluten and egg free but STILL tasty… I think this is the one!
- 5-6 slices of bread (BFree is the best bread for those avoiding dairy, egg & gluten, I love seeded bread in stuffing if there is one you can tolerate)
- 1 Large Onion (Or 2 small)
- 64g Apple Sauce
- 1.5-2 Tbsp Dried sage
- White pepper
- Salt to taste
- Drop almond milk
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Parboil your onion (If you are making gravy, you can do this in your gravy pan. Gravy recipe here)
- Process/blend bread into largish breadcrumbs
- Add in apple sauce & onion with a drop of almond milk, blitz just until its mixed. (The texture should not be dry, but not too gloopy either. Continue to add almond milk a little bit at a time until you reach this consistency
- Add salt, pepper and sage and stir it in by hand
- Put sunflower oil in your dish and heat until it smokes
- When oil is really hot, add the mixture (it should sizzle!) This stage will stop it getting a soggy bottom! (As Mary Berry would say!)
- Use a fork to spread the mixture evenly into the dish
- Cook for about 45 minutes (or until the top is crispy and browned)
We find the easiest thing to do is to lay it all out for everyone to help themselves! That way you can sneak some extra of your favourite bits (Stuffing & Roast Potatoes for me!!)